Even if your web pages have quality content, headers, title, quality and number of inbound links and URL that could help improve upon the page ranking, still you could find your website falling in the rankings due to low page speed. Google has made it clear that page speed will also be taken into account in ranking websites. The reason given is that slow performing websites do not provide users a better experience, as loading time of each page could be a deterrent factor, resulting in poor user experience. The loading time of a web page is the time taken for the page to first byte, which is the time taken by the browser to receive the content from the web server. Slow pace of page loading could lead to the user losing patience and thereby switch over to another URL. The reason given by Google is logical and hence it is important to ensure improvement in the page speed. Here are some ways by which you can improve the page speed.
- Reducing Redirects: Reducing redirects and 301 could help reduce the time to go to another page because the waiting time for completion of the cycle for HTTP request-response is reduced for a better user experience.
- Simplifying Web Design: Simplification of web design could help reduce the loading time considerably. This can be done by streamlining the elements of the page, combining multiple style sheets to a single sheet, reducing the number of scripts and placing them at the bottom of the page and replace images by using CSS.
- Leveraging Browser Caching: Leveraging your browser caching could also help reducing the page load time. Set your header for “expires” to a certain time so that all information is cached.
- Using a Network for Content Distribution: Use a network for content distribution so that your website copies that are stored at multiple data centers that are geographically diverse can be accessed faster by the user.
- Other Ways: Other ways by which you can reduce the time of page loading include, optimizing images, enhancing the response time of the server and finally follow the best SEO practices.
All set and done, your page could load within one second to give the user a better experience in browsing.